Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Spinach Quiche

Let me start by saying that I love eggs and I love quiche, so I always try out different ways to make a good quiche.  I have made lots of different versions of quiches, but I made this one yesterday and it was by far the best one I have made.  

Lately I always try to bake with whole wheat flour and I almost always use organic products.  One of my sons is very food sensitive and requires as much fiber and whole grains as possible.  I try to add ground flax seed to whatever I can.  I say all this because I usually add the ground flax seed when I make my own pie crust.  

However, I had a frozen whole wheat pie crust in the freezer that I needed to use up, so this is why I decided to make another attempt at a quiche.  

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

I put my frozen pie crust out on the counter for about 10 to 15 minutes, then I pricked it with a fork and put it in the oven for about 5-10 minutes.  I hate when my pie crusts get soggy when I make quiches, so I wanted to harden it up a bit before adding all the ingredients.  After it has baked, pull it out of the oven and set aside while you are cooking everything else. 

While the pie crust was in the oven, I diced up half of a small onion (I would say it made between 1/4 to a 1/2 cup of chopped onion).

In a medium sized pan melt about 1 tablespoon of butter 

Add about 1 tablespoon of garlic (I love garlic, so I added a full heaping tablespoon of garlic, but you don't have to add that much) and the onions.

Cook the onions until translucent.  

Add about two cups fresh spinach torn or roughly chopped to the onion/garlic mixture.  

Cook the spinach down, takes about a minute or so.

Add 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup feta cheese to the spinach.  

Then pour the spinach cheese mixture into the pie crust.

In a separate bowl beat with a fork 4 eggs and 1/2 cup milk.

Pour eggs over the top of the spinach.  There is a lot of egg mixture so make sure you cover all of the spinach, you might have to use your fork to move around the spinach to coat everything.  

Put in the oven for 15 minutes.  Sprinkle additional cheddar cheese to the top of the quiche.  Continue baking for 30-45 minutes until set in center. Take out of the oven and let cool for about 15 minutes before you cut it.  

This was so delicious.  I ate it with a friend for lunch yesterday and my husband and I finished it off today for breakfast.  

I will try this recipe again and use Swiss cheese to give it a different flavor.  


Finished product already half eaten

No comments:

Post a Comment